Best Smartwatches in 2023
By Matthew Carrel · Jul 29, 2022
7 Best Smartwatches in 2023
Apple Watch 7
Samsung Galaxy Watch4
Garmin Venu 2 Plus
Apple Watch SE
Fitbit Versa 3
Polar Grit X Pro
We also compared this Technology products that could be interesting for you
All the details for our Product picks7 of the Best Smartwatches in 2023
Make sure your iPhone is updated to the latest version of iOS. The smartwatch must be connected to a cellular or Wi-Fi network, and your Bluetooth must be turned on. Ensure your smartwatch and iPhone are in close range during the setup process. Afterward, press and hold the side button of your Apple Watch 7 to turn it on. Unlock your iPhone, place it close to your Apple Watch, wait for a message on your phone screen, and click “continue.” Next, tap on the “set up for myself” option that appears, and finish by setting up your home screen preferences.
As long as you have set up and added your bank cards, you should be able to make purchases with your Apple Watch 7 with Apple Pay by following these steps:
- Double click on the digital crown.
- Scroll down to pick a card.
- Place your Apple watch a few centimeters from the contactless card reader with the screen facing the reader.
- When the transaction is completed, your watch will notify you with a beep.
The Apple Watch 7’s battery can last all day long. It lasts up to 18 hours after an overnight charge when you use it to check the time, receive notifications, use apps, and do a 60-minute workout. If you have the Apple watch family setup feature, the battery lasts up to 14 hours. The watch is easy to charge with the Apple USB-C Magnetic Fast Charging Cable.
Yes, you can. Open the phone app on your Apple Watch 7, tap on the “contacts” icon, and turn the digital crown to scroll down. Choose the contact you want to call and tap on the phone button. You can also face time by tapping on “face time audio.” You can also adjust the digital crown to increase or decrease the volume.
When you purchase an Apple Watch 7, you get one-year hardware coverage and 90 days of complimentary technical support. When you add AppleCare+ to your watch, you will get two years of hardware coverage, two years of accidental damage coverage, and two years of technical support from Apple. You will also get 24/7 priority access to technical support.
Pros & Cons
- Has a fall detection feature
- Shock and water resistant
- Great for fitness
- Extended battery life
- Great screen size
- High price
- Not compatible with Android phones
Start by downloading the Samsung Galaxy wearable app from the Google Play store. If you are using a phone that does not belong to the Samsung brand, you will have to install certain plugins for the watch. It might also ask you to sign in to your Samsung account. Afterward, turn on your Bluetooth, open your Samsung wearable app, and press “start.” Keep your smartwatch close to your phone, and a code should appear. Make sure it matches the one on your watch, and they will automatically pair. Next, wait for the animation, after which your smartwatch will be ready.
To use Samsung Pay on a non-Samsung phone, you must update your phone to Android 6.0 or higher. Begin opening Samsung Pay on your watch by pressing the bottom button at the back. Rotate the bezel to pick the credit card you want to use, and then turn your watch so that the card reader can read it and automatically pay for the item you want to purchase.
Samsung estimates that the Samsung Galaxy Watch 4’s battery can last up to 40 hours. The smartwatch charges fully in under two hours with the help of a wireless charging pad. If you were to charge it for 30 minutes, it would give you up to 10 hours of use.
Yes, you can. To make calls on your Samsung Galaxy Watch 4, swipe up from the bottom of the watch screen to access the apps menu. On the menu, tap the “phone” icon and then tap the orange icon on the top right of the screen. Find the contact of the person you want to call and tap on their name to place the call.
If you purchase your Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 directly from Samsung, you will get a one-year cover on the standard warranty. When you get an extended warranty, you are eligible for an extra year or two of protection against unexpected complications, with a limited time of 24 months. You also get to choose two or three years of warranty coverage, which only covers damages caused by malfunctions.
Pros & Cons
- More affordable than the Samsung Galaxy Watch 3
- Quality health tracking
- Crisp AMOLED display
- Great call quality
- Does not support iOS
- Low internal storage
Start by downloading the Fitbit app on your phone. Log into your Fitbit account and tap on the “profile” icon. Next, tap on the “setup device” option so that your Fitbit Sense smartwatch appears on your phone screen. Tap the “setup” option and accept the terms and conditions. Your Fitbit Sense smartwatch will connect with your phone, and you will have to put the four-digit number that appears on your watch on your phone. After the connection, you can allow notifications and set up a voice assistant like Alexa or Google Assistant.
To make payments, first add your credit, debit, or transit card to your wallet on the Fitbit app. Afterward, place and hold the left button on your watch for approximately two seconds. Swipe up to the payment screen, and if prompted, enter your four-digit passcode and hold your watch towards the contactless terminal. Your watch will vibrate when your payment is accepted, and a confirmation message will pop up on the screen.
Fitbit estimates that the Fitbit Sense Smartwatch can last up to six days with a 100% charge. The smartwatch tracks your day and night activities without the need to charge it frequently. The watch has fast charging that gives your watch a full day’s charge in just 12 to 15 minutes.
The Fitbit Sense has a microphone and a loudspeaker that allows you to make and receive calls from your watch when you are in close range of your smartphone. You can use Google Assistant or Alexa. Just tap the “voice assistant” feature on your watch. Afterward, command Alexa or Google Assistant to display the needed contact and place the call.
You will get a one-year warranty for your Fitbit Sense watch. This warranty only covers manufacturer defects like screen display (if it is not as bright as when you bought it) and battery life (if it is not as long as it used to be, or if it simply stopped working). It is also good to note that Fitbit does not have an extended warranty.
Pros & Cons
- Extended battery life
- Has an intuitive surface
- Has an ECG app
- Detailed sleep tracking
- Has a bright and sharp display
- Buttonless design needs some learning
- Need Fitbit Premium for maximized use
Download the Garmin Connect app on your phone, then turn on the smartwatch by pressing the top button until you see the start-up animation. When your smartwatch turns on, choose your preferred language. Open the Garmin Connect app and tap on the “more” option. Select the Garmin devices and tap “add device” at the bottom of your phone screen. The Garmin Connect app will automatically search and connect with your smartwatch. Finish up by following the on-screen instructions to finalize your setup.
To use your smartwatch to pay for products, you must at least add one payment card. Press and hold the top button on your watch and tap on the “wallet” icon. Enter your four-digit code to access Garmin Pay. If you have added several cards to your Garmin Pay wallet, swipe to change to another card to use it. Afterward, hold your watch to the payment reader with your smartwatch facing the reader. When your payment is complete, your smartwatch will vibrate and display a checkmark.
Garmin smartwatches’ battery life depends on the features enabled, like phone notifications and activity tracking. The smartwatch mode lasts nine days with activity tracking and 24/7 wrist-based heart rate monitoring. Smartwatch mode with music playback will give you up to 12 hours of use, GPS mode with music playback will give you up to eight hours of use, and always-on display mode will give you up to two days of use. The Garmin Venu 2 plus also has a battery saver mode to help you maximize your smartwatch’s battery life.
You can use the controls menu to access the phone icon or create a shortcut. To create the shortcut, press the button once, and the shortcut option will appear on your watch screen. Swipe up, tap on the “setup” option, and choose the phone calling menu to create your shortcut. You can type the phone number manually or choose a contact from your contact list on the phone app. Find the contact of the person you want to call and tap on their number to place the call.
The Garmin Venu 2 Plus has a warranty that covers the watch’s materials or workmanship defects for up to one year. Scratches, accidents caused by acts of nature like floods or fire, and damages that result from fixing your watch by a person who Garmin does not authorize are not covered by the warranty. This limited warranty covers the repair or replacement of any parts that fail during normal use.
Pros & Cons
- Designed to track physical activity, stress levels, and sleep patterns
- Calls made from the watch are crisp and clear
- Has a long battery life
- Can make and receive calls on your wrist
- Has a bright crisp AMOLED display
- Does not have wireless charging
- Does not have enough third-party apps
Before pairing, make sure your iPhone’s iOS is 14.0 or higher. If it isn’t, you will have to update it for your watch to be compatible with your phone. Start by enabling your phone’s Bluetooth and ensuring you have a Wi-Fi or cellular connection. The next step is to power on your Apple Watch by long pressing the power button. Keep your watch close to your iPhone, and your watch will automatically be detected. Follow the on-screen instructions to finish setting up your watch.
First, install the watch app on your phone. Tap the “wallet and Apple Pay” option on the app and select “add card” to set up a card or choose a card that has been configured with your Apple Pay. Double-click on the side button and scroll down to choose a card. Now hold your Apple watch a few centimeters from the card reader with the watch screen facing the reader. Once your payment has been processed, a beep will confirm the completion, and you will receive a notification on your watch screen.
The battery should last you up to 18 hours with 90-time checks, 90 notifications, 45 minutes of app use, and a 60-minute workout with music playback using Bluetooth. Apple confirms it takes about 1.5 hours to charge the Apple Watch SE from 0% to 80% and 2.5 hours to charge it to full capacity from 0%.
Open the phone app on your Apple Watch SE, tap on “contacts,” and turn the digital crown to scroll. Choose the contact you want to call and tap on the “phone” icon. To adjust the volume during a call, turn the digital crown. Alternatively, you can also use the Siri voice command feature to place your call.
Your Apple Watch SE has a one-year limited warranty. Still, when you get an extended warranty from AppleCare+, you get up to two incidents of accidental damage protection every 12 months, battery service coverage, Apple-certified service and support coverage, and 24/7 priority access to technical support. You can purchase your coverage on a fixed-term plan or a monthly plan.
Pros & Cons
- The best Apple Watch when it comes to value
- Safety features like fall detection and emergency SOS
- Has a long battery life
- Has solid activity tracking
- Cannot be used with Android phones
- Does not have always-on display feature
First, add your credit, debit, or transit card to your wallet on the Fitbit app. Afterward, hold the left button on your watch for approximately two seconds. Swipe up to the payment screen, and if prompted, enter your four-digit passcode and hold your watch towards the contactless terminal. Your watch will vibrate when your payment is accepted, and a confirmation message will pop up on the screen.
The Fitbit Versa 3 watch has a six-plus day battery life. If you use the built-in GPS regularly, you will get up to 12 hours of battery life. The battery life may be affected by use and other settings. As a result, the watch’s battery life duration may vary. With its fast charging, you can fuel up for a full day in just 12 minutes.
You cannot make calls directly from the Fitbit Versa 3 watch. However, if your watch is paired to an iPhone or an Android with an 8.0+ version, you can use it to accept and decline incoming calls. If your Android phone is running on an older version of the Android operating system, you can only decline calls but not accept them. This feature does not mean that you can speak into your watch. Accepting the phone call only answers the call on your nearby phone.
If you purchase your Fitbit Versa 3 watch from an authorized retailer, you will get a one-year warranty. However, this warranty does not cover normal wear and tear. It mostly covers battery replacement. Fitbit offers an extended plan called the Square Trade, which gives you an extra year of protection for $30. The Square Trade plan covers normal wear and tear and battery replacement.
Pros & Cons
- GPS feature allows for outdoor activity tracking
- Has customizable straps
- Fast charging
- Larger screen size
- Lightweight and comfortable
- Need Fitbit premium to access some features
- Does not have stress tracking or ECG sensors
Turn on your watch, and you will be prompted to select a language. Set up a Polar Flow account on your smartphone and ensure Bluetooth and location are turned on. A pin will pop up on your watch, and it will automatically pair your watch to your phone. You will also be prompted to update your watch, which could take up to 15 minutes. After this, your watch is ready, and you can start using it.
Unfortunately, this smartwatch is not compatible with any payment apps. As a result, you cannot make NFC payments with the Polar Grit X Pro smartwatch. However, you can receive alerts about messages, calls, and app notifications. This is possible for Apple and Android devices. Make sure you have installed the Polar Flow app to access these features.
The Polar Grit X Pro smartwatch promises up to 40 hours of tracking time if you put the GPS and heart rate monitoring into good use. It also has a saving mode feature to adjust the GPS recording rate to one or two minutes. When you turn off the heart monitoring feature, it could boost the watch by up to 100 hours.
You can make calls with your Polar Grit X Pro smartwatch. However, to make a call using your smartwatch, you will need to set up a Bluetooth connection between your watch and your phone. Additionally, you will need to download the Polar Flow app on your phone and set up an account with Polar Flow.
The Polar Grit X pro provides a warranty that covers any defects in material or workmanship for two years from the date of purchase. However, wristbands made of silicone or plastic are only covered for one year. This warranty does not cover normal wear and tear, battery, cracked screens, or second-hand products.
Pros & Cons
- Long battery life
- Good navigation features
- Responsive touchscreen
- Heavily priced
- Limited smartphone notifications
List of all Best Smartwatches in 2023 for your needs
|Apple Watch 7||07/2022||$ 349.00||Buy|
|Samsung Galaxy Watch4||07/2022||$ 198.00||Buy|
|Fitbit Sense||07/2022||$ 226.00||Buy|
|Garmin Venu 2 Plus||07/2022||$ 449.99||Buy|
|Apple Watch SE||07/2022||$ 249.99||Buy|
|Fitbit Versa 3||07/2022||$ 152.00||Buy|
|Polar Grit X Pro||07/2022||$ 399.99||Buy|
Types of smartwatches
The best smartwatch for you will depend on several factors, including the type of phone you have, your budget, and the features you need. There is a smartwatch for everyone in whatever price range you can afford. There are plenty of styles and designs available in the market today, and everyone can find one that suits their style and personality. Here are some of the different types of smartwatches.
A GPS smartwatch has an embedded GPS that calculates distance, speed, and pace. This information is then transmitted to the smartwatch via Wi-Fi or a cellular network. GPS smartwatches are suitable for runners, cyclists, and other outdoor enthusiasts. They are an excellent way to track one’s progress toward a set goal. These watches often include heart rate monitors and other exercise-related tracking features. Any running app can pick up the GPS signal on your phone. These watches can work with any phone, including iPhone and Android smartphones.
A budget smartwatch is designed to be as affordable as possible. The classic design of these smartwatches makes them especially popular among seniors who might not be the most tech-savvy. Budget smartwatches are often very simple in their design and features. Since most budget smartwatches don’t work with phones that involve a lot of third-party apps or services, it’s not uncommon for them to be cheaper than some of their more feature-packed counterparts.
A hybrid smartwatch is a cross between a traditional wristwatch and a smartwatch. Most hybrid smartwatches have analog hands that move, while a separate digital display shows additional information, including phone notifications, fitness information, and weather reports. The digital display on a hybrid smartwatch can be easier to read than the small screens on many traditional smartwatches. Hybrid smartwatches are great for those who want the added features of a smartwatch but prefer using more traditional watches.
Fitness smartwatches are designed for those who want to track their physical activity. These smartwatches can often monitor several exercises or activities, including walking, running, and swimming. They often record steps per day, distance covered, and calories burned. These smartwatches are generally paired with the user’s smartphone, where they can receive notifications when a call or text comes in. They can also be paired with third-party apps to allow for more advanced tracking, including remotely controlling the user’s phone or accessing a GPS track of the user’s movements. Fitness smartwatches usually work with any smartphone, be it an iPhone or Android.
Luxury smartwatches come in all shapes and sizes. They have many features, most of them being high-end or even custom. Many luxury smartwatches will include extra features like a heart rate monitor and GPS tracking. More advanced models will include rich graphics and animations that enhance the user’s experience, while some even allow the user to interact with the watch and use it as a remote control for their phone. Luxury smartwatches are meant to be more than mere displays for the user’s phone. They’re designed to be a wearable companion, enhancing the user’s experience and making any activity more enjoyable. Luxury smartwatches can cost thousands of dollars and are from reputable brands like Louis Vuitton and Tag Heuer.
Smartwatches for specific sports
Since different people use smartwatches, most are designed with specific sports and activities in mind. The sport or activity you actively engage in will greatly affect the type of smartwatch you choose. For example, swimmers might prefer a water-resistant model, runners might prefer a GPS-enabled smartwatch, and cyclists might want a model that tracks distance and pace. Sports-specific smartwatches are great for athletes who want to keep their phones safely tucked away while on the field or court.
General use smartwatches can be used for various purposes. They might include essential fitness and exercise tracking features and could also be designed to display phone alerts for notifications. These smartwatches are popular among people who want to take advantage of wrist-based functions without carrying their phones everywhere. They are often low-profile and are an excellent option for those who enjoy tracking their progress quickly and conveniently.
A rugged smartwatch is designed for people that spend a lot of time outdoors. Some come with GPS capabilities to track your progress and display your location while you’re hiking, while others are completely waterproof. The rugged models will generally be rough and tough to the touch, but that’s not to say they can’t be used by ladies and gentlemen alike. These smartwatches can withstand the elements and rough treatment, making them useful for various outdoor activities.
Factors to consider when purchasing a smartwatch
There are many different factors to consider when purchasing a smartwatch, including the type of smartwatch you want, the color, style, and size. Here are a few points to consider when looking for a new timepiece.
- Style: A smartwatch’s style, like many things, can be described as subjective. You may want to go with a classic look or something more modern. Some people prefer novelty-style smartwatches that include eccentric additions, while others want a universal smartwatch that will appeal to a wide range of people. You may even want to go with a classic watch, but with a touch of eclectic style. Whatever you decide, you should make sure it suits your personality and needs.
- Color: Everyone wants to ensure their smartwatch fits their style and personal preferences, but they also want the right color. A smartwatch designed solidly and straightforwardly might not look great on someone who enjoys bold and bright hues. If you’re not sure about the color, you can always contact the manufacturer and see if they can send you different samples of their smartwatches. That way, you can be confident that the color you choose matches your taste.
- Size: Most people will want a smartwatch that isn’t too big or bulky. This is especially true if you wear your watch every day since larger watches can be uncomfortable to wear for lengthy periods. Oversized smartwatches can also be a nuisance to transport or store when traveling, which is not ideal for most people. Make sure you consider your personal preferences in regard to size when choosing a smartwatch. If you like big watches, by all means, choose one, but if you want something easy to wear every day, consider a smaller model.
- Purpose: Having a clear idea of the purpose you want your smartwatch to serve can make all the difference. This will help narrow down your options to smartwatches that are in line with your needs and tastes. Are you looking for a rugged smartwatch to wear when hiking or a casual timepiece for everyday use? Do you want a smartwatch to help monitor your health or display the time? Before purchasing a new smartwatch, think about when and where you’ll be wearing it and what kind of features it needs to have to best suit you.
- Price: Some smartwatches can cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars. A smartwatch being a bit pricy isn’t necessarily a bad thing, especially if you want a smartwatch packed with features that will last for years to come. However, you should ensure that the smartwatch you choose is worth its price tag. If it is overly pricy, you should find out why it’s so expensive and see if there are other smartwatch models that are within your budget and are just as good.
- Brand: The brand of your new timepiece can help you determine its durability, reliability, and style. Many consumers are familiar with certain watch brands and know that their watches tend to last for years, even with wear and tear. Other consumers enjoy the status and prestige a certain brand brings. When choosing a watch, consider the brand and what it offers.
- Warranty: One of the best ways to ensure that you have a smartwatch that will be reliable and last for years is to purchase one with a warranty. If the manufacturer has a warranty on their products, they’ll be more inclined to replace your smartwatch if it breaks down or stops working. A warranty can also help you save money, especially if the watch stops working even after a few months. Before purchasing a smartwatch, read the warranty terms and conditions and see what kind of coverage the manufacturer offers.
- Battery life: Many smartwatches typically last four to eight hours before being recharged again. If you’re the type of person who doesn’t like carrying around a charger everywhere, this will be a significant factor in your decision. If the battery life on your watch is too short for your needs, purchase a watch with longer battery life or one that can be recharged without any cords.
- Water resistance: The first thing you’ll need to consider when buying a water-resistant smartwatch is what it will be used for. A water-resistant smartwatch might not be suitable for every scenario. If it’s going to be primarily used at work or on outdoor adventures, there are many options for varying degrees of waterproofing. If you’re looking for something that can handle more extreme environments but is still stylish enough to wear every day, a smartwatch with a strong waterproofing rating will be a better choice. Whatever you choose, make sure the watch you buy can withstand the environment you’re going to be using it in.
- Bluetooth compatibility: The wireless connectivity of a watch can drastically improve the usability of a device and make it more convenient to use. Bluetooth is an excellent feature for any smartwatch because it allows you to connect with any device without wires or cables.
Straightforward smartwatches vs. hybrid smartwatches
Although both straightforward smartwatches and hybrid smartwatches perform the same function, they have different features and characteristics. Below are some of the differences.
- Design: The design of a hybrid smartwatch is almost identical to that of a traditional watch, except that it can also double as a fitness tracker. The size and style of a hybrid smartwatch will generally be smaller than those of straightforward smartwatches due to its fitness tracker component. On the other hand, straightforward smartwatches are a little bulkier and are designed to be more versatile. They can generally be worn on the wrist like a standard watch. Still, they also have some additional features like a microphone or heart rate monitor that can make them better for fitness-related activities.
- App functionality: The functionality of a hybrid smartwatch will differ from that of a straightforward smartwatch. A hybrid smartwatch will typically offer similar apps, such as fitness tracker apps, but it may not include any additional apps or features that a straightforward smartwatch doesn’t already have. A straightforward smartwatch will generally come with the same apps found on most smart devices, and it can be used in similar ways to other smart devices.
- Appearance: Straightforward smartwatches have a more modern and sleek design. They are typically made of glass and metal with an LCD screen that is touchscreen enabled. They do not have a traditional watch face and are rectangular-shaped with rounded edges. Hybrid smartwatches have a more traditional design, similar to the appearance of traditional watches. These timepieces often have leather wristbands, traditional watch faces, and round crowns. Hybrid smartwatches are usually made of metal or other precious materials, such as gold or silver.
- Functions: Straightforward smartwatches are more advanced and sophisticated. They are made for notifications, apps, GPS tracking, taking calls, and receiving emails. Hybrid smartwatches do not have as many functions and are less tech-based. They often come in a more classic watch style that is not as fancy or modern-looking as straightforward smartwatches. However, they still perform basic watch functions, and some even serve as fitness trackers.
- Price: Straightforward smartwatches are more expensive than hybrid smartwatches due to their advanced functions and more complex technology. They are considered luxury items, so they are usually pricier. Hybrid smartwatches do not have as many features as straightforward smartwatches, thus costing less.
How did you like this pick?
Share this with your friends:
Last updated on Jul 29, 2022